NEWS @ George Salter Academy
Even more students attending top universities
Today George Salter Academy in West Bromwich is celebrating its best A Level results yet. This year 78% of students achieved three or more A* to C grades up from 73% in 2014.
In addition, more students than ever before are heading off to the top universities. In 2014, 76% of the academy’s year 13 students applied to university. 16% of these applications were for Russell Group universities and 24% were for universities in the top third of the league tables.
This year, the school has made a big leap forward, with 80% of students applying for a university place, 22% of which were for Russell Group universities, and 31% for those in the top third.
Most students going to university from George Salter Academy are the first generation to do so in their families.
Student successes include:
- Fatheha Rahman, who achieved grade A's in biology, chemistry and maths, plus a Distinction* in Forensics, is going to University of Birmingham to read Biochemistry
- Matthew Haddon, who achieved an A* in maths and A's in physics and further maths, is also off to University of Birmingham, reading Theoretical Physics
- See Kee Chai, who achieved an A* in law, grade A's in psychology and history plus a B in geography, is going to the University of Warwick to study Law
- Sharonpreet Mahli, who achieved A* in both law and Punjabi as well as B grades in business and psychology will be leaving to study abroad
- Suleman Miah, who achieved grade A's in chemistry, physics and maths as well as a B in further maths will be studying Engineering at Nottingham University.
To inspire students, the school invites members of its alumni back to work with students, for example, those who are studying medicine mentor individuals in the sixth form, and students from Russell Group universities have also come back to give talks. In addition, the school provides a huge amount of individualised and steady intervention and support to students on an individual basis.
The academy works closely with its sponsor Ormiston Academies Trust’s Access Champion Simon Pedley. Simon’s role is to help students and staff navigate the complex university access system and he has talked to students at George Salter about Russell Group applications, and helped Oxbridge candidates there with interview practice. Simon is also helping teachers to learn more about applications for the top universities so that students can benefit from onsite support at any time.
Imran Iqbal, Head of Sixth Form said:
“This is another fantastic year for George Salter students as more than ever before are accessing higher education.
“Staff and students have worked incredibly hard to achieve these results, and we will continually build on these to ensure we have an outstanding sixth form offer.”
Chief Executive of Ormiston Academies Trust, Toby Salt, said:
“It is our absolute priority as a Trust to ensure every student fulfils their potential, and key to this is raising students’ aspirations.”
“We are thrilled that an ever increasing number of students are going on to top universities and that George Salter Academy’s work is playing a key part in this.”
P.E. Kit sales are between 10.00am -3.00pm Monday to Friday from reception until Friday 21st August 2015