New GSA PE Kit for sale!
New PE Kit sale at George Salter Academy on Monday 12th November for years 7-11 from 5-7pm. A perfect opportunity to buy the new midlayer/jumper to prepare for outside PE lessons.
|Tweets by @GeorgeSalterPE|
The PE department is a well-staffed and resourced department that uses a range of coaches and support staff to offer our students the best PE and Sport opportunities possible. The facilities at our disposal are amongst the best in the borough and comprise of a large playing field, a full sized astro turf, a small astro turf, Netball and Tennis courts and refurbished sports hall and fitness studio. The department’s capacity to deliver examination theory lessons is enhanced through the use of 2 classroom bases within the PE building.
The department offers a wide range of study support opportunities after school in a variety of sporting areas and activities. These opportunities provide for pupils across the ability range and are aimed at developing sporting capabilities as well as providing pupils with an opportunity to develop health, fitness and social skills that sport naturally provides. These practical opportunities are in addition to the academic support offered for examination PE students both at lunchtime and after school. As well as provide these opportunities, the academy has an array of representative teams performing at both a local and regional level.
Notable sporting successes 2018
- Yr 7, U14, U16, U19 Sandwell Netball Champions
- U14 Girls Football Sandwell Runners Up
- Yr 7 Boys Basketball NBA Play-off finalists
- U14 Boys Basketball Sandwell Champions, Black Country Champions & YBL champions
- U16 Boys Basketball Sandwell Champions, Black Country Champions & YBL champions
- U19 Boys Basketball AOC Champions & YBL champions
- U14 & U16 Girls Basketball Sandwell Runners Up
- Year 9 Girls Rounders Sandwell Champions & BGC Runners up
- Year 8 & 10 Girls Rounders Sandwell Runners up
- U16 Girls Handball Sandwell champions, BCG champions and 5th in Regional competition
- KS3 & KS4 Boys and Girls Badminton Sandwell Champions & BCG Champions
- 2017/2018 Yr 7/8/9 Sandwell Indoor Athletics Champions
- OAT CUP winners for Tag Rugby, Girls Football and Dodgeball
Mrs. A Hill (Head of Department), email: email@example.com
Key Stage 3 (Years 7 and 8)
In years 7 all pupils receive 2 periods of PE a week. Within these lessons they are given access to a wide range of activities including football, basketball, netball, hockey, badminton, gymnastics, fitness, cricket, rounders, tennis and athletics.
In year 8 all pupils receive 2 periods of compulsory PE a week where the curriculum they follow embeds and develops the activity areas covered in year 7. In addition to this, all pupils are given the option of selecting PE as a specialist option in which they receive a further 2 periods a week. The primary aim of these lessons is to develop further understanding and ability within a smaller range of ‘specialist’ sporting activities. These lessons, of course, further embed the key concepts within Physical Education that are leadership, analysis of performance and understanding of health and fitness.
Key Stage 4 (Years 9, 10 and 11)
In years 9-11 all pupils receive 2 periods of PE each week. Within this curriculum they follow a similar programme that focuses on a smaller range of activities as pupils begin to specialise in certain areas. Key Stage 4 (Examination) Pupils in year 9 have the option to select PE / Sport Studies as an examination option and follow either a BTEC or GCSE course which takes them through until the end of year 11. This forms part of the academy option process and these pupils receive a further 3 periods of PE each week in addition to their "core" allocation.
|GCSE PE||47% A*-A
|BTEC Level 2 Sports Studies||n/a||38% Distinction* - Distinction
91% Distinction* - Pass
|26% Distinction* - Distinction
93% Distinction* - Pass
Key Stage 5 / Post 16
At KS5, the Physical Education Department offers several courses.
Click on the links below for further information:
- Physical Education - A Level
- Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) - BTEC National Extended Certificate (equivalent to one A Level)