New GSA PE Kit for sale!
For all parents who wish to buy their son/daughter the new PE kit over the summer you can do this by buying it online or going in store (see letter below for address and prices).
- Click here for more information about the new PE kit [pdf, 1.4 MB]
- Download the letter with information about online purchase, store address and prices [pdf, 123 KB]
|Tweets by @GeorgeSalterPE|
The PE department is a well-staffed and resourced department that uses a range of coaches and support staff to offer our students the best PE and Sport opportunities possible. The facilities at our disposal are amongst the best in the borough and comprise of a large playing field, a full sized astro turf, a small astro turf, Netball and Tennis courts and refurbished sports hall and fitness studio. The department’s capacity to deliver examination theory lessons is enhanced through the use of 2 classroom bases within the PE building.
The department offers a wide range of study support opportunities after school in a variety of sporting areas and activities. These opportunities provide for pupils across the ability range and are aimed at developing sporting capabilities as well as providing pupils with an opportunity to develop health, fitness and social skills that sport naturally provides. These practical opportunities are in addition to the academic support offered for examination PE students both at lunchtime and after school. As well as provide these opportunities, the academy has an array of representative teams performing at both a local and regional level.
Notable sporting successes 2017
- Year 9 Girls Sandwell Champions
- Year 9 Girls Black Country Champions Badminton
- Under 14 Girls Silver Medal Black Country Games
- Under 16 Girls Silver Medal Black Country Games
- Under 16 Boys Silver Medal Black Country Games
- Under 14 Boys and Under 16 Boys and Girls Sandwell Champions Rounders
- Year 8 and 9 Sandwell Champions
- Year 10 runners up Indoor Athletics
- Overall Sandwell indoor athletics Champions year 7, 8 and 9
- Overall indoor girls champions
- Overall indoor boys champions
- Overall year 9 boys/girls winners
- Year 7 Girls runners up
- Year 7 Boys champions
- Year 8 Boys 3rd
- Year 9 Black country champions (Indoor) Outdoor Athletics
- West Midlands champions – overall year 7‐11
- Overall 2nd outdoor athletics championships – 18 schools
- Year 9 boys champions (Outdoor)
- Year 8 girls 2nd (Outdoor) Football
- Year 9 Boys Sandwell Champions
- Year 7‐9 Girls Football League 2nd Basketball
- Year 7 Junior NBA Finalists
- U14, U16 Sandwell Champions
- U16 Black Country Champions
- U16 National schools last 8
Ms. A Rippington (Head of Department), email: email@example.com
Key Stage 3 (Years 7 and 8)
In years 7 all pupils receive 2 periods of PE a week. Within these lessons they are given access to a wide range of activities including football, basketball, netball, hockey, badminton, gymnastics, fitness, cricket, rounders, tennis and athletics.
In year 8 all pupils receive 2 periods of compulsory PE a week where the curriculum they follow embeds and develops the activity areas covered in year 7. In addition to this, all pupils are given the option of selecting PE as a specialist option in which they receive a further 2 periods a week. The primary aim of these lessons is to develop further understanding and ability within a smaller range of ‘specialist’ sporting activities. These lessons, of course, further embed the key concepts within Physical Education that are leadership, analysis of performance and understanding of health and fitness.
Key Stage 4 (Years 9, 10 and 11)
In years 9-11 all pupils receive 2 periods of PE each week. Within this curriculum they follow a similar programme that focuses on a smaller range of activities as pupils begin to specialise in certain areas. Key Stage 4 (Examination) Pupils in year 9 have the option to select PE / Sport Studies as an examination option and follow either a BTEC or GCSE course which takes them through until the end of year 11. This forms part of the academy option process and these pupils receive a further 3 periods of PE each week in addition to their "core" allocation.
|GCSE PE||100% Pass||47% A*-A
|BTEC Level 2 Sports Studies||100% Pass||n/a||38% Distinction* - Distinction
91% Distinction* - Pass
Key Stage 5 / Post 16
At KS5, the Physical Education Department offers several courses.
Click on the links below for further information:
- Physical Education - A Level
- Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) - BTEC National Extended Certificate (equivalent to one A Level)