New Build Project successfully completed
On Wednesday 15th July 2015 George Salter Academy officially opened its new and refurbished facilities in the company of some prestigious visitors. Councillor Sidhu, a long time supporter of the school and indeed the wider West Bromwich and Sandwell community, unveiled a commemorative plaque, in the presence of Peter Murray, founder of Ormiston and Toby Salt, chief executive of Ormiston Academies Trust, our sponsors.
The ceremony was momentous for a number of reasons, with current Principal, Mick Green, symbolically handing over the leadership of the school to his successor, Bob Banks.
The theme of blending tradition with innovation, or the old with the new, was further demonstrated by an official cutting of a ribbon by former students, Harold Jones and Joe Francis, alongside the youngest students in the academy, Amanpreet Virdi and Alana Barker. Harold and Joe attended George salter in 1933 and 1939 respectively, and delighted the audience with tales of school life in the 1930's.
The event concluded with a celebratory concert in the academy's new Green Room Theatre, to a packed house of 250 parents, with memorable performances from former and current students and professional musicians who work alongside students in the academy's Music Department.
See the pictures from the opening ceremony on Facebook.
Though the major building work has now been completed, there is still some improvement to our outdoor facilities to be done over the summer.
Mr Locket, our community director, has successfully secured funding in excess of half a million pounds to change the large AstroTurf surface to 3G and install drainage, resurface the small AstroTurf to 3G and fence off two football pitches on the Greets Green recreation area with new drainage installed there as well!
This will provide both students and the local community with the very best football facilities and will further enhance our extended sports facilities for all.
The last two and a half years seem to have gone very quickly now we look back, however it should not be underestimated just how well the students and staff adapted and worked alongside the contractors from the first mobilisation of the Balfour Beatty team in February 2013.
Our £12m building programme was necessary to replace the science block and address the poor state of some of our buildings.
Below you can watch the artistic fly-through impression.
The new build project had several major phases:
- the demolition of the old library and staff room and the start of the general building work for the new blocks in Spring 2013
- completion of the technology block in September 2013
- a major stage in the construction of the new performing arts and science building was completed when pupils took part in a steel signing ceremony in February 2014
- completion of the new English block in April 2014
- completion of the performing arts and science building, including the new reception in January 2015
- refurbishment of west wing sept 2014
- refurbishment of east wing February 2015
In addition to the separate building phases, there was ongoing work to significantly refurbish the 1930’s block (including the dining hall and kitchens) and PE, the 1930's building had an entirely new roof, the heating system throughout the majority of the site was overhauled, a new IT infrastructure to create Wi-Fi across the site was installed and new car parking and front entrance of the school on Davey Road was created.
Watch the progress
Check out the progress of the new build project via the time-lapse video clips on YouTube