Successes at Post-16 at George Salter Academy can be seen in many ways.
- We have grown year-on-year since our inception ten years ago.
- Our results at A-level show us to have been well above the national average for the past eight years.
- Our students have high aspirations with over 90% going on to University and 100% of those applying being offered places. With 30% of our students going to the top Universities in the country. With our first ever cohort of students going to Italia Conti and Guildford University, who are the top Universities for Performing Arts.
- Our students attend a wide range of Universities and study a wide range of subjects.
- After leaving George Salter Academy for University, over 90% students succeed in their undergraduate study. Past students often visit the Sixth Form to tell us of their graduation and ask for references to enter professional roles.
- Some of our students have achieved Masters degrees, 1st class honours degrees, and most have achieved 2.1 Honours degrees.
- Many students have gone on to do fantastic experiences after leaving George Salter Academy Sixth form such as Apprenticeships, Graduate schemes through very reputable firms, by using skills developed in the Sixth form. One of Alumni student has gone on to work for Ernest and Young, one of biggest accountancy firms in the country.
The History of Post 16 at George Salter Academy
Increasing Number of Students
When Post-16 education began at George Salter in 2006, a small group of students chose to stay, taking a few subjects at Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3. Some of our students travelled to other Sixth Form Centres in the area to enable them to have a full curriculum.
Year on year, the Sixth Form has grown in number, with it now being the destination of choice for the majority of students in Year 11 at George Salter, as well as being a centre of excellence attended by students from many other local schools.
Development of the Curriculum
The Post-16 Curriculum has developed each year in response to the needs and requests of students. From only eight subjects in 2006,the Post-16 curriculum has extended to over thirty subjects at AS and A level. Each year new subjects have been added, with 2016/2017 seeing Food Science and Nutrition, BTEC Law and a variety of Performing Arts Pathways being introduced for our students.
In 2018, Post 16 had the best AS and A2 Results ever:
- 97.7% Pass rate, the National Average is 97.6%
- 23 of 26 subjects had a 100% pass rate
- 56.6% A*-C grades
- 31% A-B grades
The number of students progressing to University has grown each year, since 2008. In 2018, of the 109 students 102 students (93.5%) have gone to University. 2 students (1.8%) have gone on to do raining/apprenticeships, 1 student went into employment (0.9%), 3 students decided to return to Post 16 (2.9%) and 1 student (0.9%) dwent into clearing.
Many now are choosing Aston, especially for Business/Finance degrees, over Birmingham, but as can be seen from this list, some students have moved as far away as London, Liverpool and Scotland.
Universities attended by George Salter students (number of students in brackets):
- Aston (19)
- Birmingham University (12)
- Birmingham City University (14)
- Buckinghamshire (1)
- Coventry (11)
- De Montfort (1)
- Derby (1)
- Dundee (1)
- Gloucester (1)
- Guildford (1)
- Huddersfield (1)
- Italia Conti (2)
- Keele (1)
- Kings College, London (1)
- Liverpool (1)
- Loughborough (1)
- Manchester Metropolitan (1)
- Newman (4)
- Nottingham Trent (3)
- Royal Veterinary College, London (1)
- Sheffield (3)
- Staffordshire (3)
- University College London (1)
- Westminster (1)
- Wolverhampton (9)
- Worcester (3)
- UCB (2)
- University of Law (2)
Subjects studied at University by Salter Sixth students
- Archaeology: 2%
- Art: 8%
- Business*: 26%
- Care*: 5%
- Computing: 1%
- Creative Media: 3%
- Criminology*: 1%
- Cybersecurity: 2%
- Education: 1%
- Engineering: 4%
- English: 1%
- Geography: 1%
- Diplomacy: 1%
- Law: 13%
- Mathematics: 3%
- Medicine*: 6%
- Performing Arts*: 6%
- Psychology: 4%
- Science*: 8%
- Sport*: 3%
- Youth Studies: 1%
Student Success stories 2017/18
Some recent examples of outstanding individual success stories from our Post 16 students:
- Ria Shemar achieved A* in Biology, A* in Chemistry and A in Maths, she will be studying Medicine at The University of Birmingham.
- Elisha Kailla achieved A* in Psychology, A in Biology and B in Chemistry, she will be studying Medicine at The University of Birmingham.
- Kieranjort Jagpal achieved 1 A in Sociology, 1 B in Art, and Distinction in Business, he will be studying Business and Management at Aston University.
- Jeevan Singh achieved A in Maths, A in Psychology and A in Sociology, he will be studying Economics at The University of Birmingham.
- Mohshin Ahmed achieved A in Biology, A* in Maths, B in Psychology and A in Physics, he will be studying Physics at UCL University.